Here is a quick Top 5 summation of my favourite quotes and notes from this year's Canadian Positive Psychology Association Conference on Resilience.
DR. MICHAEL UNGER
1. Dr. Michael Ungar Nurturing Resilience Video - "With better navigation and negotiation skills, we can improve resilience"
- Nurture navigation/problem-solving via experiential learning (games, curiosity, and friendly competition)
- Provide opportunities to negotiate/communicate with environment, resources, and other people (encourage play and creativity)
- Make programs culturally and contextually relevant (foster ownership and agency to encourage adherence)
DR. TIM PYCHYL
2. Dr. Tim Pychyl Procrastination Puzzle Video - “All procrastination is delay but not all delay is procrastination"
- Procrastination Tip 1 - Precommit: implement your intentions ahead of time by using 'If-then' statements
- Procrastination Tip 2 - Employ a "Just start it" mindset vs. "Just do it" mindset - implies small steps versus big steps towards behavior change
- Procrastination Tip 3 - Minimize distractions > Strengthens focus
- Procrastination Tip 4 - Avoid multi-tasking > Strengthens efficacy
- Procrastination Tip 5 - Swallow the biggest frog first thing in the morning
DR. MARTIN SELIGMAN
. Louis Alloro Tedx Talk "On Being a change agent" video
- "We can't do things differently if we don't think differently."
- "We have to learn how to learn together."
5. Louisa Jewell - Failing well video
- Practice non-contingent self-esteem. Boost your morale during times of high and low pressure. Condition positive self-talk after failures and successes, and the ones that don't count, because at the end of the day, they all really do count.
- Master your inner constructive self-criticiser by imagining your best friend rather than your worst enemy. Find a balance of optimistic and realistic.
- "Failure is not a great teacher. It is only a helpful teacher when you can fail well."
- Focus on getting good rather than looking good.
Bonus Quotes to ponder
- “Between stimulus and response lies a space. In that space lie our freedom and power to choose a response. In our response lies our growth and our happiness.” - Viktor Frankl
- “On planet earth, there are no passengers, we are all crew” - Marshall McLuhan
- "No mud, No lotus" - Thich Naht Hanh